- Be prepared! This means do your research if you don't know your subject matter by heart.
- Be patient! Give the writing some space to breathe. Don't try to solve a plot point or character dilemma that isn't evident. Let it lie for a bit and come back later.
- Keep 'em guessing! No matter the genre, surprises - in action, dialogue, plot, or even tone and point of view - keeps readers wanting to flip the page.
- Why? Why? Why? - ask the right questions of your characters, of yourself, and of your manuscript. You'll usually get the right answers.
- Be brief! No one likes a know-it-all or blowhard. Keep your explanations and language simple and to the point.
Now back on the bus...speed tips are over!